This page is laid out for easy navigation via JAWS:
- Use h to jump from section to section.
- Use Tab to move among links for
different script versions. JAWSKey+F7 should also provide
a list of these links.
Resources for Tween and OpenTween users, besides the JAWS scripts described below, are listed in a separate
Tween Resources document on this site.
These scripts support both Tween and OpenTween, from now on collectively referred to as Tween unless
differentiation is necessary.
As of August, 2016, the scripts focus primarily on OpenTween.
Documentation of script usage and features can be viewed by typing
Insert+F1 twice in quick succession from within either application
while these scripts are running.
This script version is dynamic, meaning that updates to it will be made
"in place." Newer revisions will replace older ones, and I will add
change notes to this section as changes are made.
Here are the changes in this version, most recent first.
In JAWS, use the h or 3 keys to move through
changes by release date, or Tab to jump straight to the
Revision 141, released August 4, 2018
- The key for toggling use of the Detail area when reading tweets with arrows, formerly F2, is now the sequence [ r.
- The sequence [ m toggles on/off a new feature that condenses strings of mentions into just a mention count. This is very handy in Twitter conversations involving many people.
- The above two settings survive across JAWS and system restarts rather than requiring users to reset them manually.
Revision 134, released July 16, 2018
- The installer version is reverted to the older one in an effort to help those for whom the newer one bothered antivirus software.
- The installer tries drives D and E along with C when trying to find the JAWS executable but not permitted to read the Windows registry.
- A couple minor installer language and comment cleanups.
- More cleanup of HTML entities supported when reading tweets.
Revision 116, released September 5, 2017
- The scripts can install under JAWS 2018 beta and should also install under JAWS 2018 when it is officially released.
- In the installer, failure to find any JAWS versions results in a log display.
- Space is silenced in lists so it can be used more efficiently to read unread tweets across all buffers.
- Users who need to change the Command key, the left bracket ([) by default, may do so by typing Command JAWSKey+C.
- The sound played on key layer exit is much quieter.
- HTML in messages should no longer be removed on reading or displaying the details area for a tweet.
- There may be a slight speed improvement in Braille support.
Revision 107, released October 27, 2016
- F2 toggles on/off a new feature that makes JAWS read tweets in tweet buffers from the Details
area rather than from the tweet list. This causes DM direction (to/from) and other information to speak that
is usually missed, at the expense of a slight decrease in performance on each arrow.
At this time, this setting is not saved across JAWS restarts; you will have to press F2 after
restarting JAWS to turn the feature on again.
- [ t brings up a list of tabs for selection by incremental search. This makes it very fast to
find a tab when many are open. This also works for the tabs in the Events screen.
Revision 98, released September 18, 2016
- The scripts have now been tested against OpenTween 1.3.3 and 1.3.4.
- [ a announces, when available, the remaining and total API calls that apply to the current tab.
- Field hints displayed on Settings pages speak after the field, like JAWS tutor text would do.
- Many Settings page fields for setting fonts and colors are more usable.
- The dialog for building filter rule sets is made more accessible.
- The Profile screen virtualization (double Ins+B) is slightly reorganized to improve readability.
- The user guide includes more tips for general usage, including guidance on configuring Tween/OpenTween
for maximum efficiency with JAWS.
- There are improvements in the handling of TreeView controls.
- Fix: Tab counts on [ w are correct where they sometimes were not.
- Fix: Ins+B reports the correct information after a switch among Settings pages.
Revision 66, released August 17, 2016
This is a very major script update and replaces all previous support for Tween with new scripts for Tween and
OpenTween. The following change list is far from comprehensive and is only meant to assist those who used the
previous (2015) scripts for Tween. For full details on this release, consult the
JAWS Scripts For Tween and OpenTween users guide.
The original 2015 revision 12 scripts remain here in case anyone needs them.
Changes affecting users of the original Tween scripts:
- This revision drops support for JAWS versions older than the latest update to JAWS 11, in order to support
advances in the JAWS scripting language.
- OpenTween is now supported along with Tween.
- Ins+T includes the name of the active tweet list when focus is in one.
- Ins+Tab announces, and Braille shows, the number of characters remaining during tweet
and DM composition.
- The installer is now Nullsoft rather than Inno Setup, and there is now a script uninstaller.
- The Ctrl+Shift+D command for focusing the tweet detail area is changed to the key sequence
[ Ctrl+D but is likely to be far less often necessary.
- The key sequence [ d reads the twee detail area without changing focus, and the sequence [
Shift+D places the material in a JAWS virtual buffer for more thorough review, copying portions to
- Tween.jcf is no longer replaced when the scripts are installed. This means that any custom configuration
changes set up by the user or by previous Tween scripts, such as a customized reading of tweet list items,
will not be changed by updating these scripts.
- These scripts no longer customize the presentation of tweets. Users may accomplish this through JAWS'
Customize ListView utility. As just mentioned though, if you used the previous version of these scripts, the
customizations established then will remain in effect.
To apply the customizations from the original scripts manually without using the JAWS Customize ListView utility,
place the following in tween.jcf in your JAWS user folder:
Revision 12, released June 11, 2015
Ctrl+Shift+D moves focus to an HTML area containing the tweet.
This is useful for the form of retweets in which the original
tweet text is not present but is replaced with a link to the original
At least in OpenTween, this material can also be viewed natively via the g and Ctrl+E commands.
Ins+Q includes the revision number of the Tween scripts, to
ease verification of correct script installation.
Revision 7, released September 9, 2012
This is the first public release of these scripts. Features included:
- Typing a tweet no longer causes excessive extra speech on each
- The tweet list reads less information on each arrow key.
- Insert+F1 brings up the script documentation.
Download: Version 1.0 executable installer (can also open with 7Zip)