This page is laid out for easy navigation via JAWS:
- Use h to jump from section to section.
- Use Tab to move among links for
different script versions. JAWSKey+F7 should also provide
a list of these links.
These are JAWS scripts for the Windows version of Zello.
Documentation of script usage and features can be viewed by typing
Insert+F1 twice in quick succession from within Zello
while these scripts are running.
This script version is dynamic, meaning that updates to it will be made
"in place." Newer revisions will replace older ones, and I will add
change notes to this section as changes are made.
Here are the changes in release 1.16a, most recent first.
In JAWS, use the h or 3 keys to move through
changes by release date, or Tab to jump straight to the
Revision 102, released March 29, 2013
This is an update to support Zello 1.30. Features and notes:
- Contact and participant lists are recognized in Zello 1.30 as they
were in 1.22 and earlier. This makes Ctrl+arrows and other things work
as expected in Zello 1.30.
- Zello 1.30 does not allow the Tab and
Shift+Tab keys to reach the contact list. With the scripts
running, a workaround is to Alt+Tab out of and then back
into Zello. The scripts will place focus on the contact list when you
return to Zello in this way.
Revision 101, released November 29, 2012
This release contains a few documentation updates for Zello 1.22.
Also, channels with an invalid password count in searches as disconnected
channels. This means you can use Ctrl with arrows to find
channels whose passwords need updating.
Revision 93, released July 29, 2012
This is another fairly major update and addresses some issues in Zello
1.18 and 1.19.
Enhancements and fixes:
- The Applications key now opens context menus in Contacts,
Recents, and a channel participant list, all of which stopped working
natively in Zello 1.18 and 1.19.
- JAWS better announces contact list items. New items announced
Similar improvements are included for the participant lists for
- Contact status for non-channel list entries, based on the actual
status icon. The posted status message is of course still announced as
well when it is different from the icon.
- Full-length status messages regardless of whether they are cut
short on screen.
- Clearer indication of new messages, still including the message
- The word "channel" for channel list entries.
- Invisible tab controls no longer cause tab page announcement on
Insert+t. This fixes, for example, the inclusion of "page
is Contacts" in sign-in screens.
- Unlabeled graphic icons no longer cause speech.
- Focus no longer stays on invisible windows but moves to visible ones
when possible. This causes 'Forgot your password?' to get focus during
auto signin and prevents focus loss on signin errors and other situations.
- Space is no longer announced in outgoing text alert edit boxes when JAWS
is in a typing echo mode other than Characters.
- Insert+PgDn works more often to read the Zello status
- More sign-in-time messages speak, though the actual "Signing
in..." message still doesn't.
Revision 77, released June 23, 2012
This is a fairly major update and the first script version that
includes features specifically aimed at Zello 1.17. These scripts
still work with Zello 1.16 as well.
New features and fixes:
- When focus switches from another application into Zello, JAWS will
land in a list control if one is available instead of always moving to
the "Push to talk" button. This facilitates movement among users and
- Tab and Shift+Tab work in the dialog that
pops up when a call alert comes in.
- When you send a call alert to a contact, JAWS will announce when
it successfully sends. If it is an invalid request, such as when you
try sending to an offline contact, JAWS will announce this also.
Note that there remain some types of failures that JAWS may not
- Typing letters in a list, such as Contacts, will do an incremental
search and land on the next list entry beginning with what has been
typed. You can, for example, quickly type "ec" to find the Echo user
(if that user is in your contacts).
- The search always starts at the first list entry though, not the
current entry. This may be fixed in a future release, but it is caused
by a peculiarity of Zello itself.
- Incoming authorization requests immediately speak on arrival,
including the name of the user making the request.
- When people join or leave a channel while you are focused on the
channel's entry in the Contacts list, JAWS will say how many people
joined or left instead of repeating the channel's list entry.
- If you leave focus in the list of participants in a channel, JAWS
will announce the names of people joining or leaving.
- Ctrl+Shift+P, the script command for playing the next
unread message, works in the Recents tab as well as in the Contacts
It also works in history lists and moves to a message as it starts
- Ctrl+Shift+E failed to function properly for some users
due to the appearance of a "Resize" icon for the Zello window too
close to the status line. This should now be fixed.
Revision 51, released June 11, 2012
Heads Up: Ctrl+Shift+A, the keystroke that
announced the number of pending authorization requests, is now
Ctrl+Shift+E. This change conforms to Zello's actual
intentions: The count is really the number of pending events of any
kind. Currently the only type of event supported in Windows Zello is
authorization requests, but the script author expects text alerts
eventually to be included there.
This update includes the following enhancements:
- The manual includes much more information on how to use Zello with
- The scripts cause F7, the default Zello transmit key,
not to speak its name repeatedly when typed from within Zello or even
from within any other application.
- Ctrl+Shift+A is now Ctrl+Shift+E as
- There is a system for searching your contact list for various
types of entries: Use Ctrl+Left/Right to switch among types
of searches and Ctrl+Up/Down to search using the current
search type. This system allows you quickly to locate channels and
users with unread messages, channels that have been disconnected, the
user or channel currently in solo mode if any, and the first user in
your contact list, below all the channels.
The manual describes this system in more detail.
- Ctrl+Shift+P from the contact list starts playing
missed messages from the selected channel or user. Pressing
Ctrl+Shift+P while a message is playing stops that one and
starts the next one, which facilitates rapid skimming of new messages.
- Ctrl+Shift+W launches the Zello script home page in
your default browser, which can be handy for checking for script
updates. This command also sends information about your running JAWS
version, Zello version, script revision, etc., to the web site so the
script author can better know what configurations to support with the
This script update also includes a few experimental features, disabled
by default but accessible via special hotkeys. These are described in
the manual. The experimental features currently included allow you to
hear user and channel names when people talk, hear which channel you
are sending to before you start speaking, and use certain wireless
headsets to start/stop transmission or review unplayed messages
without having to use the keyboard.
A link to the manual appears near the top of this page.
Revision 25, released May 29, 2012
Several features added:
- Much more complete help accessible via a double press of
JAWSKey+F1, including a whole section on basic PC Zello
- Ctrl+Shift+S reads the user's current status, and a double
press allows the user to update it.
- Ctrl+Shifft+A does the same for any pending authorization
- Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab switch among tabs
in the main window, and JAWSKey+T (the SayWindowTitle
command) includes the active page name.
- Improved announcement of prompt information in the initial account
- More buttons say "button" instead of saying no control type. The
sign-in screen contains examples.
- An intuitive process for changing Zello hotkeys: Press
Space to start or cancel the changing of a hotkey.
(Normally this would have required mouse clicks.)
- Silencing of extra announcements of "ListView" during arrowing
through list controls like the Contact list.
Revision 4, released May 25, 2012
Initial release version with the following features:
- Silencing of F7, the default push-to-talk key.
- Better naming and spoken information for many controls in the
- An indication of which Options page is currently active (just that
page's button says "Pressed" when focused).
Download: Revision 116a executable installer
| Revision 116a source and JAWS 12 binaries