Virtual Audio Cable NVDA Add-on
Last Revised May, 2021
This is the Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) NVDA add-on.
This add-on improves NVDA's presentation of the Control Panel and the two audiorepeater apps. Current features:
Note that this add-on no longer modifies the tab order in the two audio repeater applications as did older add-on versions, because this caused more problems than it solved in VAC 4.60 and later.
- Field naming in all three VAC applications via the help balloons associated with each field.
This approach works in VAC 4.60 and later.
- No more loss of focus after pressing Start or Stop buttons.
- Silencing of progress bars, as progress bars are used in VAC as meters.
This add-on causes help balloons for each field to speak as the field gains focus. However, this occurs after, rather than before, the announcement of the field type and value as applicable. This is due to the delay between
focus change to new field and appearance of the help balloon associated with the field.
The rescue of focus after Start is pressed in the audio repeater applications may not always work.
This is the revision history of this add-on, most recent entry first.
Version 2021.1.1, May 30, 2021
This revision adds support for NVDA 2021.1 as can best be established from the beta available at the time of add-on release.
Version 2020.1.2, September 12, 2020
This revision fixes the announcement of list items in the VAC Control Panel cable list.
Version 2020.1.1, July 26, 2020
- This add-on's name, as displayed in the NVDA Add-on Manager, is changed from "Enhancements for Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) applications" to "Virtual Audio Cable (VAC)"
so that it will sort more intuitively among add-on titles in the add-on list.
- This add-on no longer alters tab order in the two audio repeater applications, because in VAC versions 4.60 and later, this caused more problems than it solved.
- Fields are now named via automatic announcement of the help balloon text for each field as the field receives focus, rather than by hard-coded names per field in the add-on itself.
- This document is included in the add-on and is available through the "Add-on Help" button in the NVDA Add-on Manager.
Version 2020.1.0, January 13, 2020
This is the first revision that worked in NVDA 2019.3.x.
There is no specific recorded history of which add-on revisions before the end of 2018 were released for public use. A rough sketch of add-on history follows, most recent entry first:
- March 11, 2018: GNU 2 license added to add-on.
- June 11, 2015: Localization calls added to code.
- August 24, 2014: Progress bars are silenced, per suggestion from Chad Blanco.
- June 22, 2014: First version supporting tab management, field naming, and double speech evasion (version 0.97).